Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Monday, February 23, 2015

Song I Played While Reading- Left Behinds by Hardwell
Rating- A MILLION STARS

Synopsis-
Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?
 

This book ruined me. I literally have no other words for it. This is the third installment in Sarah J. Maas's fantastic Throne of Glass series, and if you haven't already hopped on this train, THEN GET THE HELL ON IT. I didn't think Maas could top Crown of Midnight in its heartbreak, romance, and action, BUT IT HAPPENED. OH IT HAPPENED, PEOPLE. 
___________________________________
Warning: Its midnight and I'm emotionally unstable.

I don't even know where to start. Trying to convey my feelings into words is impossible and the only way you'll understand is if you read HoF. I mean... WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT I COULD SHIP A PLATONIC RELATIONSHIP SO MUCH? 
Thats literally the first thing that hit me the second I finished this book. And so I went onto tumblr and looked up the Heir of Fire tag and every. single. post. was about Rowan and Celaena. I'll give you some examples:


"Oh my god
Can you just imagine what would happen when Rowan and Aedion finally meet??
They’ll be competing on who’ll be Calaena’s right hand man.
And when Aedion finds out
Rowan
got a blood oath
first"
- catwithneinlives

"Kickstarter campaign: Get Rowan Whitethorn to Ardalan 2k15" -throne-of-feels

"celaena and rowan are my brotp but also my otp. ja feel?" -theladyprongs
JA I FUCKING FEEL 

"My sexuality? Rowan biting Aelin" -korolwhitethorn
*heavy breathing* YESSSS

"Do you guys just lie awake thinking how perfect Celaena and Rowan are together?" -bibliophilismiscool 
IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION???
also seriously your url was a bitch to type out

I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS PLATONIC SHIP. AND IF SARAH J. MAAS EVEN THINKS OF KILLING OFF ROWN, I WILL HUNT HER DOWN AND FORCE FEED HER GLUTEN (she's allergic to gluten, as am I) UNTIL SHE PROMISES TO KEEP HIM SAFE. NO ONE FUCKS WITH ROWAN.
Okay, I'm cool. I just needed to get that out.
Lets talk about Ms. Manon Blackbeak. I almost want to call her Manon Motherfucking Blackbeak because she's literally the baddest bitch in town. Besides Celaena of course. Maas said they meet each other at some point in the series and holy shit, imagine them fighting each other. Imagine them fighting on the same side. With the Thirteen. And Rowan. And Aedion. THE FEELS. *drops dead*
Seriously though, I love Manon. As fucked up as she may be, she knows how to get shit done. She can handle herself and take on any obstacle that gets thrown her way. I can't wait for her to start really feeling the feels and become more human. I hope she kicks her devil grandma off a cliff.
NOW ITS TIME FOR PAIN. Chaol. My sweet, sweet, Chaol. YOU DIDNT DESERVE THIS, DAMNIT. I have hope that in time Celaena will come to love Chaol again. I don't care if she finally took off the ring he gave her and it "felt like a blessed release, a final shadow lifted from her heart." No way. They can work it out. You don't just stop loving the person who you contemplated spending the rest of your life with.
Chaol has been raised and brutally manned by the King. Of course he's going to be squeamish over magic and the Fae for a little while. He'll come to accept it and then CHAOLAENA WILL RULE TOGETHER. JUST BECAUSE SHE TRIED TO KILL HIM DOESNT MEAN HE ISNT HER MATE. ROWAN SAID SHE WASNT IN TUNE WITH HER FAE SIDE YET SO SHE PROBABLY DIDNT REALIZE IT. CHAOLAENA OR DEATH.
As for Dorian, he just might have worser luck than Celaena. The poor bastard just watched his girlfriends head get chopped off, than was held down and Valgafied. Right? Those collars make your body a host for a Valg? I'm pretty sure thats what it means. Celaena is going to have a hell of a time trying to deal with that. On the upside, that will only add more fuel to the never-ending fire burning within her and make her despise the King even more (if thats possible).
The last 100 pages of this book both broke and mended me. I was sobbing while reading those flashbacks to her childhood. Its not bad enough that cute little Lady Marion sacrificed herself for Celaena, who in turn was so broken up about that, that she couldn't even bare thinking about it. No. Ohhhh no, we had to then realize NAHEMIA DID THE SAME DAMN THING. The self-hatred Celaena had for herself was unfathomable. You don't realize how deep it goes until you read how accepting Celaena is of her death; how she thinks the world would be a much better place without her. And then, when her family started chanting, "Get up", I WAS SO BROKEN INSIDE BECAUSE THATS WHAT CHAOL SAID TO HER IN THRONE OF GLASS DURING THE FINAL DUEL. And it was so achingly beautiful when she finally accepted her past and all her mistakes. I was hyperventilating. There are literally no words to describe it. And when Rowan claimed her.. SERIOUSLY HOW IS MY HEART STILL BEATING.
OH RIGHT CAUSE ROWLAENA GIVES ME LIFE.
One of my favorite scenes in the book is when she looks at her self in the mirror after the big showdown:
"The somewhat shorter hair was the least of the changes.
She was now flushed with color, her eyes bright and clear, and though she'd regained the weight she'd lost in the winter, her face was leaner. A woman- a woman was smiling back at her, beautiful for every scar and imperfection and mark of survival, beautiful for the fact that the smile was real, and she felt it kindle the long-slumbering joy in her heart."
This is the only time I've ever been happy to see a heroines hair cut short. And I'm pretty sure its one of the reasons why I'm contemplating cutting my hair to my shoulders too, because it makes me look older and prettier, so I can't even imagine how amazing Celaena must look with it. I JUST LOVE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. ITS BEAUTIFUL.

Quotes
"You don't bite the woman of other males." (pg. 161)
Who knew territorial and aggressive Fae get me all hot and bothered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"He reached for a slice of bread and a bowl of beef broth. "Eat this."
"It pains me to say this, but one more bite and I'll be sick all over the place." Oh, he was definitely fussing, and though it warmed her miserable heart, it was becoming rather irritating.
The bastard just dipped the bread into the broth and held them out to her.
"You need to keep up your energy. You probably came so close to burnout because you didn't have enough food in your stomach."
Fine; it smelled too good to resist, anyway." (pg. 371)

""I claim you Rowan Whitethorn. I don't care what you say and how much you protest. I claim you as my friend." (pg. 428)

""I claim you too, Aelin Galathynius." *sobs uncontrollably*

""She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one." (pg. 499)

""Aelin," he murmured, and it wasn't a reprimand, or a thank-you, but.. a prayer." (pg. 516"

""Together, Fireheart," he said, pushing back the sleeve of her tunic. "We'll find a way together." He looked up from her exposed wrist. "A court that will change the world," he promised." (pg. 516) BROTP BROTP BROTP BROTP

"She lifted her face to the stars. She was Aelin Ashryver Galathynius, heir of two mighty bloodlines, protector of a once-glorious people, and Queen of Terrasen.
She was Aelin Ashryver Galathynius- and she would not be afraid." (pg. 569)

Also, if you guys don't follow me on Goodreads (I highly recommend you don't because I'm outright scary and emotional on there), heres a little sneak peak at some of the thoughts running through my head while I read (or in this case reread) HoF. Specifically, two certain lines:

I feel like I should apologize but I'm not going to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(seriously I love that little guy, he's so chill)


(Image and synopsis from Goodreads)

No comments:

Post a Comment