The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Song I Played While Reading- Dangerous by David Guetta
Rating- 5 stars

Synopsis-
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. 

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.





_________________________________________

Three cheers for Percy!! Not because he defeated Kronos but because he turned into a hunk in this book. I was SO ATTRACTED TO HIM WHENEVER HE WOULD FIGHT. In the beginning when he was aboard the Princess Andromeda and was diverting all the attention to him, his hotness slammed into me like a train. And then when he fought the Minotaur and all the monsters with him on the bridge, holy hell <33333333333 
Since there weren't the usual amount of deaths in the Battle of the Labyrinth, I knew Riordan was saving them all for this book. No one super major died, but I counted 5 in total that Percy has seen multiple times at camp and has talked to before. Beckendorf, Silena, Michael Yew, Ethan Nakamura (well, not at camp technically), and of course, Luke. I had mixed feelings on him. I knew Annabeth would have an issue with him but I didn't see that whole ending coming, with Luke fighting Kronos enough to sacrifice himself. Talk about a 180. And when she said she never loved him like a boyfriend I was cheering. HELL YEAH PERCABETH. They finally kissed and it was so cute, totally G but still. Hopefully they're will be more of that in the Heroes of Olympus books (don't judge me, I've been waiting 4 book years for this!!!)
Though I could have whacked Percy across the head on the first page when he said Rachel looked like a "million golden drachma". Bitch, please. 
I wonder if being the Oracle means you can't be in a relationship. And how long do you live? Are you immortal? I want to know more about that.
I absolutely LOVED how drawn out the battle was. Like THAT my friends, is how a battle should be. It literally was the entire book. It reminded me of Destined by Apprilyne Pike. You jump right into the battle in the beginning and it doesn't end until the last couple chapters. Percy was glorious. Jumping into the River Styx was the best idea ever and I could have kissed Nico for that. 
Speaking of Nico, I liked him a lot in this book. He pissed me off a little in the Battle of the Labyrinth, but he redeemed himself with how much he truly wanted to help in the battle. And I keep picturing him as this smoldering hottie (even though he's only 13) so0o0o0o you can see where my mind is most of the time. And his family OH MY GOD. Give them they're own reality show. I was cracking up the entire scene in the Underworld with Demeter, Persephone, and Hades.
Another person who I simultaneously hated and liked was Clarisse. She was being a little shit for most of the book over the stupid chariot and refused to fight in the war. It was so immature and childish. I get her dad had a lot on his plate but I'm surprised he didn't crack some thunder on her head or something for being so dumb. Her father was in jeopardy! But she redeemed herself with taking down the drakon, cause that was seriously badass.
One thing this series has lacked is emotional appeal, so I was shocked when I almost started crying when Percy was in Poseidon's underwater kingdom. He looked so old and frail and his palace was being completely destroyed and I thought, just maybe, he might be killed. Or banned. Whatever its called. And that had me choked up a little cause Poseidon is cool for a god. And meeting Amphitrite made me feel so bad for the poor woman. What would it be like to be married to a man for eternity,   know he's had multiple affairs, but not be able to do anything about it? And then meet the kid they had? Awkward. All of the god's wives must be like this. No wonder they get so pissy.
And speaking of emotional moments, the scene with Hades and Maria at the Lotus hotel was equally as sad. You clearly see how much Hades loved Maria and his kids, and why he hated his brothers so much. Talk about being a hypocrite cause we know Zeus had kids of his own yet was going to kill Bianca and Nico like it was nothing. It was powerful. 
This was a solid ending to the series and I can't wait to start the Heroes of Olympus, though I don't know when that exactly will be. Hopefully soon! 

Quotes
""Father," Nico said," you promised that Percy would not be harmed. You said if I brought him, you would tell me about my past- about my mother."
Queen Persephone sighed dramatically. "Can we please no talk about that woman in my presence?"
"I'm sorry, my dove," Hades said. "I had to promise the boy something."
The older lady harrumphed. "I warned you, my daughter. This scoundrel Hades is no good. You could've married the god of doctors or the god of lawyers, but nooo. You had to eat the pomegranate."
"Mother-"
"And get stuck in the Underworld!"
"Mother, please-"
"And here it is August, and do you come home like your supposed to? Do you ever think about your poor lonely mother?"
"DEMETER!" Hades shouted. "That is enough. You are a guest in my house."
"Oh, a house is it?" she said. "You call this dump a house? Make my daughter live in this dark, damp-
"I told you," Hades said, grinding his teeth. "Theres a war in the world above. You and Persephone are better off here with me."
"Excuse me," I broke in. "But if you're going to kill me, could you just get on with it?"
All three gods looked at me.
"Well, this one has an attitude." Demeter observed.
"Indeed," Hades agreed. "I'd love to kill him."
"Father!" Nico said. "You promised!"
"Husband, we talked about this," Persephone chided. "You can't go around incinerating every hero. Besides, he's brave. I like that."
"Hades rolled his eyes. "You liked that Orpheus fellow too. Look how well that turned out. Let me kill him, just a little bit." LOL THIS FAMILY (pg.122-123)

""Centaurs!" Annabeth yelled.
The Party Pony army exploded into our midst in a riot of colors: tie-dyed shirts, rainbow Afro wigs, oversize sunglasses, and war-painted faces. Some had slogans scrawled across their flanks like Horses Pwn or Kronos Sux." KRONOS SUX LMFAO (pg. 259)

""Stop running, you fools!" Kronos yelled. "Stand and ACKK!"
That last part was because a panicked Hyperborean giant stumbled backward and sat on top of him. The lord of time disappeared under a giant blue butt." SERIOUSLY RIORDAN WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS SHIT. (pg. 260)

""Perseus Jackson-if you wish it- you shall be made a god. Immortal. Undying. You shall serve as your fathers lieutenant for all time."
I stared at him, stunned. "Um... a god?"
Zeus rolled his eyes. "A dimwitted god, apparently. But yes. With the consensus of the entire Council, I can make you immortal. Then I will have to put up with you forever."
"Hmm," Ares mused. "That means I can smash him to a pulp as often as I want, and he'll just keep coming back for more. I like this idea." (pg. 351)


(Image and synopsis from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment