The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Monday, February 9, 2015

Song I Played While Reaing- Dangerous by David Guetta
Rating- 4 stars

Synopsis-
Seventh grade has been surprisingly quiet for Percy Jackson. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get...well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of his friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed. 
In the follow-up to the wildly popular The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family--one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon's son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.

Damn you Rick Riordan. DAMN YOU. I had planned on stopping after this book to read other things because it wasn't holding my interest enough. But then... the ending happened. It saved the book. Not to say this book wasn't good besides that, because it was. It was definitely better then the first one, especially the character development and the relationships. Whats cool about this book is that you realize how bad things could get if they don't win in the end, and save Olympus. Theres a bunch of foreshadowing and little hints at possible what-ifs, which makes you want to read the rest of them just so you know the final outcome. These are super easy reads so they don't take much time. I'm hoping to finish this series by the end of the week.
_____________________________________

For some reason I was picturing Thalia as Zu from The Darkest Minds. I have nooo idea why. So you could image how hilarious it would be (if you've read the books) to have Zu as a badass biker chick. She was definitely an unexpected resurrected character and I was totally shocked and hooked. I can already tell she's gonna spice shit up in these next couple of books and I'm really excited to see her powers! I hope her and Percy become BFFs.
Another character I really liked was Tyson. He was SO sweet I just wanted to pinch his cheeks. I can't picture him as being ugly and creepy looking so I have a hazy image of a BFG in my mind instead. And I picture him as black. My mind is weird.
Annabeth and Percy's relationship grows so much in this book and I love it. I've known for a while she's the love interest, so I got all the feels when little hints of whats' to-be showed up in here. Like on page 139, when they were in the little hiding spot in Chesapeake Bay and Percy realized he got jealous whenever he thought about Annabeth with Luke when they were younger. And then when she kissed his cheek at the chariot race <33333333 Like I always say, the best relationships start out as friendships.
There were a couple times I felt like chucking the book at the wall. First, when Percy and Annabeth ONCE AGAIN get into a situation at the spa. WHENEVER YOU GO SOMEWHERE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO BEFORE BUT THEY ACT LIKE THEY WERE EXPECTING YOU, TURN AROUND. Have they not learned from the first book?! Don't drink things from strangers! Especially strangers that want to make you look like your 'true self'. Good lord. And then both times when Clarissa opened her big, fat mouth and rated out Grover to the Polyphemus, and then again when she was taunting the Cyclops and he chucked a rock at the ship. Like KEEP YOUR FILTHY MOUTH SHUT, DAMN IT. I actually felt bad for her in the first half of the book, cause you knew no one wanted to come with her on the quest and her own father was threatening her if she didn't succeed. But then she ratted out Grover and I wanted Percy to slice her in half and just be done with her.
All around, I liked this book. The writing was still a little bland and easy, but I fly through these so fast that it doesn't really annoy me anymore. The stakes are definitely getting higher and I can't wait to see what happens in the third installment.

Quotes
"Matt Sloan, who'd been standing there dumbfounded the whole time, finally came to his senses. He blinked at Annabeth, as if he dimly recognized her from my notebook picture. "That's the girl... That's the girl-"
Annabeth punched him in the nose and knocked him flat. "And you," she told him, "lay off my friend."" (pg. 22)

"We went under and Annabeth stopped struggling. Her expression became confused. Then our heads broke the surface and she started to fight again.
The water! Sound didn't travel well underwater. If I could submerge her long enough, I could break the spell of the music. Of course, Annabeth wouldn't be able to breathe, but at the moment, that seemed like a minor problem." (pg. 197)

No comments:

Post a Comment