The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

Publication Date: January 13th, 2015
Pages: 324
Song I Played While Reading: The Rhythm by MNEK
Rating: 5 stars

Synopsis-
Sixteen year old Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily start a war. They are part of a secret society known as the Circle of Twelve, and they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery threatening her life, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle: beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But both boys are hiding secrets of their own, and when the clues expose stunning new information, Avery realizes the conspiracy could destroy her life- if it doesn't destroy the world first. 


I have so much love for this book it's not even funny. One word to describe it? Fun.
Seriously, I had so much fun reading this that I could not stop thinking about it. Whenever I would put it down I would have the last scene I read on repeat in my head. And the best part? The way Maggie Hall managed to weave this story into reality so that I could see something like this actually existing. The backstory of the Circle was absolutely fascinating and I gobbled it up, loving how the information could span pages. My mind was blown.
The main character was sweet, super likable, and both the boys were wonderful. It's not really a love triangle, but their fates are tangled up in a way that has you snickering in your palm because it's so funny and awkward. This book spans only a couple of days but each scene is well drawn out and constructed, resulting in a book that makes you feel like you went clubbing in Istanbul, then quickly jetted over to Paris to go to a ball. It was lavish, but Avery was innocent enough that you got excited along with her at how powerful her new family was.
This book is elegant, sexy, thrilling, and witty, leaving you with an ending that has you bemoaning the fact that it's going to be almost a whole year until the second book comes out.

Quotes
"A change," he continued with a slow smile when he saw my face. "A way away from 'the ache that is your existence.'"
Zee ache. In Stellan's light accent, it sounded especially weighty, like an ancient prophecy. I leaned forward without really meaning to.
"Toska." He leaned forward, too. "It's a Russian word. It has no other translation into any other language, but the closest I've heard is the ache. A longing. The sense that something is missing, and even if you're not sure what it is, you ache for it. Down to your bones."

"She and Luc had cracked a bottle of champagne on the plane, and even though I hadn't had any, I wasn't sure it was possible to feel entirely sober in a club. Between the lights and the unbuttoned dress shirts and the glistening bare shoulders and the driving beat of the music that got under your skin even if you weren't dancing, I was swaying by the time we got to a tall bar table where the lights flashed a little less brightly."

No comments:

Post a Comment