The Elite by Kiera Cass

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Elite by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: April 23rd, 2013
Pages: 323
Song I Played While Reading: Jealous by Nick Jonas
Rating: 3 stars

The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?
America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.


Good God this book. I can't even write a non-spoilery section because America was so damn frustrating  This was a struggle to get through. I honestly thought I was going to have to put this down and just start The One. Maybe try and find a summary of it because I wanted to know what happened, like the smaller things and where we were with the rebels. It got a little better as the book progressed but I was disappointed overall with how it was done. Some people really like these books and like America, and other people don't. I happen to be in the latter group, but I definitely plan on getting through The One. 
Now, will I read The Heir? Debatable. 

Spoiler-y Section 

Where do I even begin? I'm looking back through my notes and laughing because theres so many swear words and scribbles. To give you a little inside look at what I was feeling for the first 100 pages: "I'm going to hit America. I have so many issues with her that I can't even focus on just one." And then I ended it with huge letters at the bottom yelling at her.
Let's talk about the Marlee incident. First of all, I can't even imagine what that must have been like. I DONT what to imagine what that must have been like. I didn't hate her immediate reaction; the screaming and running and all around freak out. What I hated was her actions later on. It was bad enough that she blamed Maxon for something that was complexly out of his control. America didn't even once feel grateful that Marlee wasn't put to death. She didn't even consider that she COULD have died, and Maxon probably fought hard just to have her caned. No, what really set me off was when she hung out with Aspen afterwards.
Did she not just watch her best friend get caned because she was found hooking up with a guard? Did she not think to herself how grateful she was that it wasn't her, and that her and Aspen run that risk? I mean what the actual hell?! Of ALL the times to hang out with Aspen, and not even ONCE consider that maybe it was a bad idea? I couldn't tell who I was more pissed at, America or Aspen! Aspen claims he loves her, yet is constantly putting both of them at risk to be possibly killed. If he loved her that much he would never put her in danger like that. It absolutely blows my mind. And for America to not have a single doubt about going to meet him?
"It seemed Aspen and I had a date tonight."
Do you never want to be able to play the violin again? Or the piano? What the hell is wrong with this girl? I literally questioned her intelligence. Who the hell is this America and where did the first book version of her go?
I liked her in The Selection. She was a little rash but not over the top. She was smart and thoughtful and honest. But its like some of those rebel attacks crushed some of her brain cells; she was acting so stupid! Her stupidity literally left me speechless. I feel like I'm saying stupid a lot BUT SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HECK.
And the shit she puts Maxon through... I would have kicked her ass out a long time ago. She acts like a complete brat, getting pissed at Maxon for things he can't control or heaven forbid, talking to the other girls and not showing her enough attention. Here she is, making out with Aaspen, COMMITTING TREASON, completely cheating on Maxon, and yet gets furious at him when she catches him making out with Celeste. Or even spending more time with Kriss. He has a right too! YOU'RE IN A SELECTION. What the hell was she expecting when she told him she was done with him? For him to never talk to another girl? Selfish, selfish, selfish.
I'm definitely not saying Maxon isn't guilty either. The boy needs to speak up. I understand its hard to do that with his father, but for America? Really? So many issues could have been cleared up sooner if they had just talked it out. You guys know how I feel about unneccesary drama. I want Aspen out too. Now. Kill him off or send him to war. I've never liked him. And on that note, maybe kill the King off too. Or at least cripple him enough where he can't run the country. I know for a fact he isn't going to be giving up his throne any time soon.
And finally, the caste system. Her whole spiel at the end with the removal of the caste system as her philanthropy project (which isn't even a proper philanthropy subject to begin with) was horrendous. It was wrong on so many levels. America, yet again, fails to realize or even think that becoming a princess could, in turn, LEAD HER TO MAKING THAT CHANGE. If she's so passionate about this subject (which I don't see at all) then why has never considered that in her decision? She gets Maxon AND can help her family and all the lower castes! Another thing she doesn't even think about is that she's going to have to please all the higher ups first. She has to get to the top before she can start warming people up to the idea of removing this system. Everyones going to see her as a joke now, especially with how unprepared she was. She didn't even think about how she was going to remove this caste system, only why she should. I personally liked when the King called her out on it. I almost wish they had gotten that on tape and aired it.
As you can see, I had some strong feelings on this. I enjoy the overall concept of this and at times did enjoy the book, but it was overshadowed by America's indecisive and idiotic attitude. I really hope she matures more in The One and owns up to all of her mistakes. She can do so many great things for Illea if only she stopped acting like the world had shit on her only roll of toilet paper.
I'll leave a link here to Christine's booktube video. Its definitely one of her best and she makes some kick ass points.

Quotes
"How was it that Dad always knew what to say? I kind of wanted someone to rearrange the stars so they spelled out his words. I needed them big and bright, and somewhere I could see them when things felt dark. I love you. And I'm so, so proud."

"He chuckled. "She is less of an instigator. Lord knows what would happen to the country with you at the helm."
I laughed along because he was right. "I'd probably ruin it."
Maxon continued to smile when he spoke. "But maybe it needs ruining."

(Summary from Goodreads)

No comments:

Post a Comment