Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Square Fish
Publication Date: February 13th, 2013
Pages: 452
Song I Played While Reading: New Americana by Halsey
Rating: 4.5 stars

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison- even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's mosts wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighters who may have information about her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another hen they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner. 

I'm kicking myself for not picking up this series sooner. LITERALLY SMACKING MYSELF BECAUSE THIS WAS SO GOOD. SO. DAMN. GOOD.
"Aint nobody fuckin with my clique," was on repeat in my head as I finished this. Besides Throne of Glass, I've never felt so strongly towards a group of people. AINT NOBODY FRESHER THAN MY MOTHERFUCKIN CLIQUE.
I worship Scarlet and Wolf. I absolutely, wholeheartedly, 100% can't even with this fantastic ship. Not only because of Scarlet, who is a fiery queen and deserves her own damn crown, but Wolf.
Oh my god. 
He was so mysterious and emotionally tortured, and if y'all don't know, that's my thing. Sure, sometimes I like 'em pure and good sometimes (cue my crying over Chaol), but nothing gets my heart aflutter like a dark-haired, green-eyed, scruffy bad boy. DARK HAIR AND LIGHT EYES ARE MY KRYPTONITE *clutches chest and falls over* I didn't think Wolf could get any better, but once we found out his true identity, I was done. DONE.
*whispers* his alpha female... 
We meet Thorne in here, and in the beginning, I wasn't impressed at all, which is shocking because he's my type. I like 'em either dark and brooding or witty and handsome, and from what I got from other people's reactions, Thorne was my guy. He was good-natured, funny, extremely handsome, and a total flirt. But he seemed like such a phony in the beginning. Maybe it was the way Meyer had initially written him, but he felt forced. He grew on me, thankfully, and he had some witty one-liners that had me chuckle. But for the most part, he was a bit of a disappointment, hence the half-star docked.
We also pick up with Cinder, and I felt the exact same way as I did in the first book; a overall enjoyment of her character, but nothing more. She was totally overshadowed by Scarlet in here for me, which is maybe why I felt her character was so dull for most of this book. For being such an important character to this story, I almost wanted to nudge her out of the picture.
You can definitely tell Meyer's writing is getting better, though it still lacked in some scenes, especially in the action department. It sometimes felt a little rushed and not written-out enough, as if we were missing small pieces from it. But I gave her giant kudos for the way the story is developing because it's totally NOT what I expected. The stakes are so much higher and scarier, and I seriously cannot wait to meet Cress.

Quotes
""I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…" He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. "I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you."

"A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. "We’re having another moment, aren’t we?"
"If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are."

No comments:

Post a Comment