The V Girl by Mya Roberts excerpt!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

I got my dates mixed up with my tour date (I was a month off), so I had to repost this. Sorry for any confusion!


The V Girl by Mya Roberts
Publisher: N/A
Publication date: July 1st, 2014
Pages: 363

In post-apocalyptic North America, sexual slavery is legal. Lila Velez desperately wants to lose her virginity before the troops visit her town and take it away by force. She makes plans to seduce her only friend. Lila does not love him, but he is the only man who has shown her true affection, an affection she is willing to take as a substitute for love. 

Lila’s coping mechanism to cope with her mother’s loss is her secret. A secret that will bring her closer to Aleksey Fürst, a foreign, broody man who she distrusts because of his links to the troops and his rough, yet irresistible appearance. He offers Lila an alternative to her plans, a possibility that terrifies her…and tempts her in spite of herself. 

With threats looming at every turn and no way to escape, Lila fears that falling in love will only lead to more heartache. The consequences of laying down her arms for Aleksey and welcoming hope might destroy more than her heart. They might force her to face the worst of her nightmares becoming a reality. Is love possible in a world that has forgotten what the human touch is? 
Due to mature content, this book is intended for +18 readers.


Excerpt
   Aleksey's eyes turn to me as if asking, What is love for you, then?
   "It would take all afternoon to explain it."
   In responce, the back of his hand grazes my cheek. "We have all afternoon and, if you want, all night."
   All night. "Bare with me; this will be boring." I inhale deeply. "I think true love transcends time. The thunderbolt does not. Not if it strikes men the way you described."
   I start a sprint toward a glade where my favorite orange flowers grow. He catches up with me easily.
"Most girls prefer flowers over trees." I brush my fingers on the petals. "These flowers blossom quickly. They speak of passion, of beauty." I take a withering flower that has dropped to the ground and fondle it between my fingers. "But flowers don't last. They wither easily and have limited growth. A tree speaks not of passion, but sturdiness. Yet, it grows higher and last longer. Some of these trees were here before I was born, and they'll be here once I'm gone."
   My head falls back as I look at the highest tree. "Real love ought to be more like a tree and less like a flower." I sigh loudly. "That's the kind of love my parents had. It wasn't as consuming as it was everlasting. And you see that tree over there?" I point toward a cluster of trees across from us. "Now it's only showing green leaves, but in spring it's covered in flowers. Because as reliable as trees are, they can also speak of beauty and passion."


Links: Goodreads / Amazon / iBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment